If you’re ready to experience the wonders of Dominican Republic, here are some popular nearby excursions:
- Sail to Catalina and Saona islands, quintessential beach getaways known for their world-class fishing, snorkeling and scuba diving.
- Tour Plantación Tropical, the Caribbean’s largest horticultural center, aviary and butterfly enclosure with dozens of rare and exotic species.
- Spelunk through the most extensive cave system in the Caribbean where intrepid explorers can see artwork on the walls dating back thousands of years.
- Search for the fountain of youth at the historic Ponce de Leon House and Museum, built more than 500 years ago, in the fishing town of Boca de Yuma.
- Experience an architectural wonder at the artist community of Altos de Chavón, a replica of a 15th century Mediterranean village perched high above the Chavón River.
- Shop for local crafts at an open-air market in the town of Higuey, one of the first areas to be settled by Spanish conquistadors, and visit its cathedral honoring the Patron Saint of the Dominican Republic.
- Take a guided tour of Indigenous Eyes Ecological Park, a 1,500-acre private reserve, and hike its network of trails that snake along lagoons to glimpse endangered birds, reptiles and flora in their native habitats.
- Sign up for an adrenalin-fueled safari on a buggy or open monster truck through tropical jungles and sugar cane fields.
Stop by the Excellence El Carmen concierge desk for full details.